[AUCTeX-devel] RE: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `

From: Drew Adams
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] RE: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:40:08 -0800

[Note: passed on to the proper list by David]

Hi David,

I downloaded AUCTeX (version 11.14) from the Web, and it appears that you
are, or at least were, the maintainer of library tex.el, which has the
binding in question: (define-key TeX-mode-map "\C-c`" 'TeX-next-error).

It appears that this map is used by one or more major modes, and not by a
minor mode - is that correct? If so, according to the GNU Emacs guidelines,
such a binding (C-c followed by punctuation other than {}<>:;) should not be
used for a major mode. From the Elisp manual, node Major Mode Conventions:

     The key sequences bound in a major mode keymap should usually
     start with `C-c', followed by a control character, a digit, or `{',
     `}', `<', `>', `:' or `;'.  The other punctuation characters are
     reserved for minor modes, and ordinary letters are reserved for
     users.

Do I understand this guideline correctly, or am I missing something here? If
my understanding is correct, would you please change this binding to
something recommended for a major mode? There are other such bindings that
should also be changed, for the same reason. Another that conflicts with an
Icicle minor-mode binding is `C-c ''.

Thx - Drew