Re: [AUCTeX-devel] address@hidden: Auctex preview mode can't be activate

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] address@hidden: Auctex preview mode can't be activated by Emacs automatically.]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 11:48:14 +0100

Hongyi Zhao <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ralf said "<-- Type `C-x  C-e' here", meaning that you should put the
>> cursor right behind the closing parenthesis before typing C-c C-e.
>
> But now, I get the following error message:
>
> ====================
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Info file auctex does not exist")
>   signal(error ("Info file auctex does not exist"))
>   error("Info file %s does not exist" "auctex")
>   Info-find-file("auctex")
>   Info-find-node("auctex" "Loading the package")
>   Info-goto-node("(auctex)Loading the package")
>   info("(auctex)Loading the package")
>   eval((info "(auctex)Loading the package"))
>   eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
>   eval-last-sexp(nil)
>   call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)
> ====================

Which means that you did not install the info files in a place where
Emacs can find them.  But the same information is also in the
"INSTALL" file.

>> > Now, if I want to load the preview-latex, I must use the following method:
>> >
>> > ========================
>> > M-x preview-install-styles
>> > ========================
>>
>> Utter nonsense.  Please stop digging around in the dark.  AUCTeX comes
>> with a file "INSTALL" which describes what steps to undertake for
>> installing and activating both AUCTeX and preview-latex.  In fact, it
>> would appear that loading all files in your site-start.d directory
>> should do the trick, judging from your configure line.
>
> I copy all the style files into my site-start.d directory, but it make
> nosense.

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!  PLEASE adhere to the instructions.  Your
installation command placed files into site-start.d, and _those_ files
need to get _loaded_ by Emacs in order to start AUCTeX and
preview-latex.

Please clean up the complete mess you made by now, remove all files,
then reinstall.

>> What are the contents of your site-start.el file?
>
> See the following, and its location is /etc/emacs/site-start.el.
>
> =======================
> ;; Emacsen independent startup file.  All of the various installed
> ;; flavors of emacs (emacs 19, emacs 20, xemacs) will load this file
> ;; at startup.  Make sure any code you put here is emacs flavor
> ;; independent.
>
> ;; Package maintainers: do not have Debian packages edit this file.
> ;; See the policy manual for the proper way to handle Emacs package
> ;; initialization code.

You have a standard Debian Emacs installation, so please just remove
all traces of your own AUCTeX installation, then do

apt-get install auctex

as root, or get your system administrator to do it.  This will install
and activate AUCTeX, and make it easy to upgrade to later versions.
This is by far the most sensible option at your level of experience.