[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Ways of keeping Emacs 22 and external projects in syn

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Ways of keeping Emacs 22 and external projects in sync
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:37:33 -0500

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

>> Do you apply a tag in that case in order to identify the file
>> revisions if somebody has a bug report or support request referring
>> to the ERC version in Emacs or do you just use the files in Emacs
>> directly for testing and debugging?
>
> No.  I can get changes for any revision that I commit at any time, so
> there isn't a need for making tags.  I use DVC
> (http://download.gna.org/dvc/) to easily fetch changes: it gives me a
> listing of patches that I've committed, and I only need to hit "=" to
> view the one at point in diff form.
>
> I usually do debugging in the erc--main branch, because the versions
> are consistent enough that problems should be replicable there.  If
> needed, I could easily just remove the (add-to-list 'load-path ...)
> line for ERC from my config, and work in Emacs directly, calling
> sync-from-emacs when I've fixed the problem (to propagate to
> erc--emacs--22), and so on.

Additionally, I should add that I keep a checkout of each branch in
its own directory.  For example: erc/emacs22 (erc--emacs--22),
erc/arch (erc--main--0), erc/arch-5.1 (erc--rel--5.1).  This makes it
very easy to do sanity checks (diff -u against two directories) to
make sure that every desired change has been merged.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net