Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:49:18 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2007-01-07) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Basing the decision on such argumentation would be short-sighted.
>>> What does it help to use a system where people can jump right in
>>> but which imposes a lot more overhead on them in the long run?
>>
>> Such as?
>
> Merging of changes between different repositories with different
> file and directory layouts.

I don't see "overhead in the long run" here.  We are presumably
talking about propagating changes to the Emacs CVS.  We don't have a
choice about what Emacs uses for version control, anyway.

And AUCTeX uses CVS, and this is not bound to change soon.

> There are likely other advantages as well, but as I've written
> before, I still have to look at Arch in order to make an informed
> decision.
>
>>> We should not miss the opportunity now to make our lives easier
>>> just because "we've always done it like that."
>>
>> Could you point out where development on the scale of RefTeX would
>> be seriously and continuously be hampered by using CVS?
>
> See above.  That might not be "serious", but with CVS we'll likely
> have to setup Arch repositories _in addition_ for merging purposes.

But those can be private tools.  I certainly would not object to
adding Arch tags into the files, but abandoning CVS is going to lose
us developers, not win them.

>> I consider it reasonable to pick a version control system that is
>> supported out of the box on the Emacs versions (and that includes
>> Emacs 21.4) for which we want to provide RefTeX support.
>
> Because RefTeX users with Emacs 21.4 will get the sources using CVS
> via Emacs?  I doubt that.

Because I don't want to restrict RefTeX developers and pretesters to
just people installing the newest Emacs versions.  If we provide
RefTeX also for older versions, we certainly don't want to exclude
people willing to test those versions.