Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:25:24 +0100

* David Kastrup (2007-01-07) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Merging of changes between different repositories with different
>> file and directory layouts.
>
> I don't see "overhead in the long run" here.  We are presumably
> talking about propagating changes to the Emacs CVS.

I am more worried about propagating changes _from_ Emacs.  The changes
propagating to Emacs will mostly be check-ins of new RefTeX version
which should be possible to be handled easily.  I'm not so sure if
this is similar in the case of changes done in the Emacs repository
which are to be included in the RefTeX repository.

> We don't have a
> choice about what Emacs uses for version control, anyway.

Miles maintains an Arch repository mirroring the CVS repository, so we
have both systems available.

>> Because RefTeX users with Emacs 21.4 will get the sources using CVS
>> via Emacs?  I doubt that.
>
> Because I don't want to restrict RefTeX developers and pretesters to
> just people installing the newest Emacs versions.

Regarding developers, AFAICT DVC is compatible with Emacs 21.

> If we provide
> RefTeX also for older versions, we certainly don't want to exclude
> people willing to test those versions.

But why would those people get the sources through Emacs anyway?  If
it's just about fetching them (in contrast to checking stuff into the
repository) they can easily do this with the standalone tla binary or
by using snapshots we could provide just like for AUCTeX.