Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:56:38 +0100

* David Kastrup (2007-01-07) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am more worried about propagating changes _from_ Emacs.  The
>> changes propagating to Emacs will mostly be check-ins of new RefTeX
>> version which should be possible to be handled easily.  I'm not so
>> sure if this is similar in the case of changes done in the Emacs
>> repository which are to be included in the RefTeX repository.
>
> Ralf, you are basically arguing for taking over RefTeX maintenance
> yourself, using Arch, and not in connection with AUCTeX.

No, I'm not.  Savannah features support for public Arch archives which
could be used similarly to CVS.  Thus, all developers could
participate just like the do with CVS now.

>>> Because I don't want to restrict RefTeX developers and pretesters to
>>> just people installing the newest Emacs versions.
>>
>> Regarding developers, AFAICT DVC is compatible with Emacs 21.
>
> What does "is compatible" mean?

Can be used with Emacs 21.

An Arch interface for Emacs, see <URL:http://download.gna.org/dvc/>.

> What does "regarding
> developers" mean?

You were mentioning developers and pretesters, and the use of an Emacs
interface for versioning control will more likely be relevant for
developers.  I wanted to contrast that.

>>> If we provide RefTeX also for older versions, we certainly don't
>>> want to exclude people willing to test those versions.
>>
>> But why would those people get the sources through Emacs anyway?
>
> Why wouldn't they?

Because instructions for getting sources usually refer to the
standalone programs.  In fact, I don't even know how to do a fresh
checkout of a CVS archive through Emacs.  But that might just be the
cause of me not looking hard enough for instructions.  Updating a
working directory through Emacs is probably a more relevant use case
for pretesters, but one which could easily be solved as well by using
the client binary for the version control system.