Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: RPMs for AUCTeX 11.84

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: RPMs for AUCTeX 11.84
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:25:09 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 13 2007, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> I have created auctex-emacs-11.84-1.suse.noarch.rpm and
>> preview-tetex-11.84-1.suse.noarch.rpm successfully.  I couldn't build
>> the Fedora RPMs because sourceforge's compile farm server is not
>> available at the moment.
>
> Still not available.
>
>> The auctex-emacs seems to install fine on (open)SUSE 9.2, 9.3, 10.0
>> and 10.2.  But for preview-tetex, there are conflicts[1] with files
>> from te_latex-3.0.* (9.3 and up).  Ideas?
>
> Could we set previewtexmfdir to
>   ${datadir}/texmf/tex/latex/preview$(version_suffix)$(null) or
> something?

I already replied to that, quoting the description in the spec file.

> Is there any mechanism in preview-latex to pick the right files from
> the texmf tree?

preview-latex does not pick its files from the texmf tree, but from
AUCTeX's own copies of the files, stored outside the texmf tree, in
the Emacs tree.

preview-latex will work perfectly well without installing the
preview-tetex package.  That's the story told by the dependencies (or
rather the lack of them) and the package descriptions as well.

It would be worse than completely pointless to install versioned
directories in previewtexmfdir: after that, it would be unpredictable
which versions got picked up by normal TeX runs.