Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer addresses

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer addresses
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:48:08 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2007-02-02) writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2007-02-02) writes:
>>
>>> But in the meantime, it is easy for us to answer the only sensible
>>> thing to most reports: "upgrade".
>>
>> Which often ends up in ranting about XEmacs. (c:
>>
>> Another possibility would be to redefine `TeX-submit-bug-report' to
>> (defun TeX-submit-bug-report ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (message "This version of AUCTeX is unsupported.  Please upgrade."))
>
> Okay, that proposal does not seem to be too popular.  How about
> adding something like the above sentence in capital letters to the
> start of the blurb inserted into the mail buffer by
> `TeX-submit-bug-report' then?

How about the following: we (upstream) put in a blurb recommending to
check out the newest release version and date from our website to make
sure that the report is not for too old a version.  We also check (in
the case of an XEmacs package) the author version and mention it
prominently in the report so that people actually have a chance to see
what version they carry.

Once we have done this upstream, we ask Uwe to copy the respective
passages into the XEmacs package tree, so that people get to see it
regardless of when the next update of XEmacs Sumo actually occurs.

That does not single out XEmacs users among those with outdated
installation, and it does not mean that downstream has to maintain
reporting stuff different from the upstream version.