[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Newbie with Emacs: problem with pdf!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Newbie with Emacs: problem with pdf!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:35:20 +0100

Frederic Andres <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

>> Frederic Andres <lillumultipass <at> yahoo.fr> writes:
>>
>> > Recently, I switched to MacOS, but since I also use Windows, I
>> > decided that I might as well learn a cross-platform TeX-editor such
>> > as Emacs. I have installed Emacs+AucTeX on windows (and Aquamacs on
>> > MACOS), but I can't see any pdf with pdflatex. At first, I thouht
>> > that there were some LaTeXerrors, but since the same files were
>> > working fine in Texshop or Winedt, I was surprised. So, I added some
>> > random text to my file, and compiled it, and then I opened the pdf
>> > manually, and the new text was there. Hence, it compiles ok, but it
>> > does not want to open it as a pdf, using "Preview" for instance
>> > under MacOS.
>>
>> What does "using Preview" mean?  Which keystrokes?  What do you try?
>> Does it help to read the manual?
>>
>> (info "(auctex) Viewing")
>
> Sorry: Preview is the standard pdf viewer in MacOS. I don't use any keystrokes
> actually: in texing options I choose "pdf mode" (that is C-c C-t C-p) then I
> click on "Run Latex" in the toolbar which compiles my document, then on "Run
> viewer" but it does not work. So I was wondering whether there were some
> problems with the file associations for instance...
> I am reading the manual, but it is of no help for the moment.
> However, since I am a real newbie with Emacs, I might discover something
> helpful, do I keep reading it.

Please read the "Viewing" entry in the manual.  You can go there with

C-h i g (auctex) Viewing RET

You will probably want to use
M-x customize-variable RET TeX-output-view-style RET
to adapt to Preview.

Ccing to AUCTeX-devel: we should probably use something like
(mailcap-mime-info "application/x-pdf")
or
(mailcap-mime-info "application/x-dvi")
for getting viewer name and path and splice in the required options if
the application name is well-known (after stripping directory and
extension), or just use the string if it isn't.

That way, viewers will work out of the box mostly.  Disadvantage is
that on my system, for example, this will use evince as a dvi viewer
by default, and evince does not support source specials as far as I
can see.

But it may well be argued that I should edit /etc/mailcap if I don't
like this.

--
David Kastrup