Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request: Preview-LaTeX in not TeX mode

From: Lukasz Stafiniak
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature Request: Preview-LaTeX in not TeX mode
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 02:53:31 +0100

Why don't you want TeX mode? There is a best of all worlds solution:
use MMM mode.

* Learn about MMM (Multi Mode Mode) which allows having
regions-subnodes with major modes different than the major mode for
the file; install it.

* add your TeX-comments submode with the standard math delimiters
(also works with JsMath):

 (mmm-add-classes
  '((latex-math-comments
     :submode latex-mode
     :face mmm-declaration-submode-face
     :front "\\({\\)$$?"
     :back "$?$\\(}\\)"
     :front-match 1
     :back-match 1
     :insert ((?$ inline-math . (nil @ "{" @ "$" _ "$" @ "}" @ ))

 (mmm-add-mode-ext-class 'pmwiki-mode nil 'latex-math-comments)

* Add a preamble file (a TeX file with empty body, which loads
libraries you use in your TeX comments) to directories with your
source, let's store its full path as `preamble-file-name'.

* After you load your source into the buffer, set:
 (set 'TeX-header-end "^[^%\n]*\\\\begin *{document}")
 (set 'TeX-trailer-start "^[^%\n]*\\\\end *{document}")
 (set 'TeX-master preamble-file-name)

* Report how this works.