[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Usage of install.el

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Usage of install.el
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:14:08 +0100

* Stefan Monnier (2007-02-26) writes:

>> One could achieve this with a two-step approach of creating a package and
>> then installing it, of course.
>
> Yes.  Although right now there's no code to actually *create* a package ;-)

I know, and I am wondering if install.el would be the right place for
including that functionality because the creation of a package can be
very special.  For example in AUCTeX we do a clean CVS checkout and
then (among other things) generate stuff like INSTALL and README from
Texinfo files.  I'm sure one will find all sorts of such
idiosyncrasies in routines for building distribution files of other
projects which will be hard to support unless one allows for the
flexibility of something like make.  For simple projects it might work
to support a standardized directory and file layout.  Taking the
example of AUCTeX above the package preparation procedure could e.g.
recognize a file readme.texi and know that it should be turned into
README.