Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Autoloads for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Autoloads for RefTeX
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:37:46 +0100

* Carsten Dominik (2007-03-03) writes:

> Instead, reftex.el does contain autoload forms for all necessary
> entry points of all other files.

Yep, I saw those calls to `autoload'.

> I did this when I split the one
> big original file into many small ones, and back then I did not know
> a better way to do this.  As a consequence, is it possible that not
> all necessary entry points in the different files do have an
> ;;;###autoload cookie.  It might be necessary to add these, starting
> from the autoload forms in reftex.el.

Good point.  I'll do a clean-up ... (c:

> On Mar 3, 2007, at 19:04, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> IMO a better approach would be to generate during installation a file
>> containing autoloads which the user then may load from the init file
>> in a similar way we currently do this for AUCTeX and preview-latex and
>> how install.el does it.  The file could even be part of the
>> distribution.
>
> Instead of during installation, it could be done during creation
> of the distribution package.

Yes, that's what I meant with the last sentence in the paragraph
above.  The advantage of this approach is that RefTeX could still be
installed manually on systems where `make' is not available.  What I
am a bit concerned about is compatibility of the generated autoloads
across different Emacs versions and perhaps even across Emacs and
XEmacs.  Does anybody know if such compatibility is given?

> I guess an alternative could be to make reftex.el a small file
> with only autoloads and basic setup, and then have a reftex-base.el
> with the current content of reftex.el.

It would have the charm of `(require 'reftex)' or `(load "reftex.el")'
being more intuitive than having to do the same with
reftex-autoloads.el.