Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Autoloads for RefTeX

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Autoloads for RefTeX
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:55:02 +0100

On Mar 4, 2007, at 18:04, Ralf Angeli wrote:

* Ralf Angeli (2007-03-03) writes:

* Carsten Dominik (2007-03-03) writes:

I guess an alternative could be to make reftex.el a small file
with only autoloads and basic setup, and then have a reftex-base.el
with the current content of reftex.el.

It would have the charm of `(require 'reftex)' or `(load "reftex.el")'
being more intuitive than having to do the same with
reftex-autoloads.el.

Okay, this is implemented now.

Depending on how RefTeX was installed there might be different
measures required for activating it.  If it is installed in
`load-path' a simple `(require 'reftex)' would be enough.  If it is
not installed in `load-path', one could do

 a) (load "<dir>/reftex.el")

    AFAICS <dir> can be a relative location below `load-path'.  So if
    RefTeX is installed in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/reftex
    (and nothing like subdirs.el adds the directory to `load-path')
    one could use `(load "reftex/reftex.el")'.

 b) (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/reftex/dir")
    (require 'reftex)

The latter is probably what I would recommend to users because it is
consistent with the case where RefTeX is installed in `load-path'.
What do others think?

Look right to me.

- Carsten