[AUCTeX-devel] RefTeX version string

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] RefTeX version string
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 22:34:09 +0100

Hi,

it would be nice if the version string of RefTeX were generated
automatically from ChangeLog like in AUCTeX.  We could put the
respective defvar into reftex.el and let the value be updated by a sed
call in Makefile.  (I should probably make a reftex.el.in to be under
version control instead of the generated reftex.el.)  The downside of
this approach is that the variable won't be defined if the package is
installed with install.el or if the version built-in in Emacs is
concerned because then reftex.el likely won't be loaded since
autoloads are put elsewhere.  So my idea was to have the defvar of
`reftex-version' also in reftex-base.el with a fixed value which will
be used if reftex.el was not loaded.  Is this a stupid idea?