Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:34:33 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Artemio Gonzalez Lopez (2007-03-11) writes:
>
>> I just built the latest CVS auctex, which includes the font locking
>> changes. Unfortunately, under xemacs 21.5-b27 syntax highlighting is now
>> completely broken (most of the text is in green, the font is a huge sans
>> serif, etc.)
>
> That's due to a bug in XEmacs 21.5 related to the function
> `with-syntax-table' I reported over two years ago to the XEmacs
> project.  See <URL:http://mid.gmane.org/cp7323$qm7$1%40sea.gmane.org>.
> Unfortunately they don't seem to care about such bug reports or don't
> have the manpower to fix these bugs.  We are using `with-syntax-table'
> at several places, so I'm not sure if I can code around it in a
> sensible way.

Since the XEmacs project is not updating its version of AUCTeX,
anyway, it will probably take some time before there is a massive
uproar about this.

The standard answer to problem reports of the AUCTeX developers to the
XEmacs developer list is "we never get any complaints from AUCTeX
users, so there is no priority to fix this".

So Artemio, you might want to add your voice to this problem getting
fixed.

I am copying this mail to the XEmacs developer list in order to remind
them of this problem, but my own track record in getting things fixed
in XEmacs that I complain about is abysmal, so you might try
separately, maybe with example files and recipes (using the nightly
snapshot XEmacs package from Reiner, perhaps?) illustrating the
seriousness, perhaps with a screenshot.

There seems to be little point in making a _contained_, reproduceable
"non-real-world" example, since Ralf already did this years ago (see
the above link).  That should be sufficient for debugging and fixing
the problem.

So your task is "merely" to demonstrate that ignoring it is a bad
idea.  Maybe a screenshot will be all it takes.  No idea.