[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Changes in font locking
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:48:37 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > people without write access just get ignored, abused or both.

Nonsense, as a quick look at a few XEmacs Beta threads will show.
Quite obviously the bugs themselves and the reporters' demeanor have a
huge amount to do with it, write access or not very little, and very
few reporters receive cross words, and even fewer are ignored.

Ralf dug up the information that I asked for, as well as very useful
information about Emacs that you also chose not to get[1], and he got
the desired result.  I greatly appreciate his efforts, because it
turned what I thought would be a hard bug into a pretty superficial
one.[2]

Your bluster, on the other hand, is a lot of sound and fury,
signifying nothing except your frustration.  I felt sorry for you,
and more so for the actual users, but as long as I was under the
impression that getting into the guts of copy-syntax-table was
required, to me it wasn't worth the time I estimated it would take.
I have better things to do.

Time constraint and bug triage is just an unfortunate reality in an
open source project staffed by a declining number of volunteers.

Footnotes:
[1]  In fact you incorrectly claimed the opposite, which was important
-- it made it seem that the use of copy-syntax-table was a deliberate,
XEmacs-specific change, meaning that the hairy internals probably
would be relevant.

[2]  I suspect that `copy-syntax-table' still needs surgery, but that
is pretty clearly not relevant to this particular issue.