Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.83; encoding problems in RefTeX's .rel files
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:34:17 +0100

Frank Küster <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> So I don't see much that Emacs can do here, except possibly assuming
>> that its default locale matches getpwent.  Given that people often use
>> latin1 for their (LaTeX) text processing, that seems audacious at
>> best.
>
> That's right.  I guess the best thing would be to customize user-full-name.
>
>>> /etc/passwd is in utf-8,
>>
>> Says who?
>
> Me ;-).

Could you try logging into your system using several different
language environments, and using the graphical tools available to
create users with non-ASCII characters in their full names?

It would be interesting to see whether /etc/passwd is maintained
consistently, or whether its contents depend on the environment of the
respective system administrator.

--
David Kastrup