[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Style File for PSTricks

From: Holger Sparr
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Style File for PSTricks
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:02:13 +0200

Ralf Angeli schrieb:

> * Holger Sparr (2007-06-14) writes:
>
>> there exists an old pstricks.el:
>>
>> <URI: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/pstricks.el>
>>
>> I tried to rewrite this code.
>
> What's the reason for rewriting it?

I wasn't really satisfied with the input of point coordinates.  Since it
is possible to use named nodes (which I used a lot), it is quite
inconvenient being asked for a x- and y-coordinate each time when you
just want to enter a single character for a node name and to edit the
inserted string (it contains a comma as a number separator) after input.

So I tried to modify the code to enter: "x,y" or "node name" at once.

When looking into the code I found,

     - a lot of defined variables which were IMO of not much use

     - outdated PSTricks macros (the original file dates back to 2002)

     - macros which were added to the known symbols but had no argument
       support

     - and functions which could be simplified.

So the wish to rewrite the code wasn't really there in the first place.

But in the end, I was more than just adding a new feature.

I integrated some AUCTeX functionality too, which can certainly be
improved but wasn't really there in the beginning.

> I haven't used PSTricks yet.  Do you have some summarizing documentation
> about the covered (and perhaps missing) functionality?

Okay, an overall commentary and a todo list for the style file is
missing by now, which did not seem too important to me at that stage.

I think the basic PSTricks macros are covered by now and the style file
could be useful for PSTricks users. Of course a lot of macros are still
missing but can be added easily with the provided functions.

Holger

(Looking forward to any further questions and comments.)