Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Style File for PSTricks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Style File for PSTricks
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:20:02 +0200

Holger Sparr <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup schrieb:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Of course you can only assign copyright of code you've written
>>> yourself.  Is the code in your pstricks.el in any way based on the
>>> code of Jean-Philippe Georget?  If that's the case we'd need an
>>> assignment from him as well.
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Is that a general 'Yes' or a decision based on the code you have
> seen?

It is a general one.

> Is a simple defvar statement under copyright?

Things without creative content are not copyrightable.  If there is no
other way to achieve the same thing, this is the case.

> Do I have to contact Jean-Philippe Georget?

If he has significant contributions in there, that would be nice,
since you know what parts he wrote.  If you prefer me to contact him,
that would be ok as well, but you should try to give me a summary of
what his parts of the style file are.

> Could that be avoided by changing some lines to speed up the process
> or get the assignment at all?

Rewriting the code from scratch removes the problem.  The problem is
the "from scratch" part: a rewrite _inspired_ by previous art is still
subject to copyright (for example, you can't perform some tune or even
phrases from it you remember by heart without being liable for a
copyright infringement suit).  So unless the contribution in question
is trivial, asking for the assignment is the safest course.

--
David Kastrup