[AUCTeX-devel] Font-lock of []{} in the CVS version

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Font-lock of []{} in the CVS version
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:51:31 +0200

Hello!

This is just a cosmetic comment: since Ralf has done some major
changes in font-latex.el related to font-lock of multiple lines (I
think it is since 2007-03-04), the parentheses like [] and {} are
always black. Before, the [] parenthesis in the description
environment below were yellow:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
\begin{description}
\item[Parens are not yellow] in the CVS version.
\end{description}
\end{document}

Also, all the curly braces in that example are black now (I don't
remember the exact colour they had before, but for example the curly
braces in a macro like \caption{Foo.} were green before, IIRC. Now
they're black, too.)

Personally, I liked the previous behaviour. I think the parentheses
get too much `weight' now due to the black colour. They aren't text
that will appear in the output, and previously, their `visual impact'
when reading the source was reduced by the font-locking. IMO, they
look too dominant now.

I know that parens are black in emacs-lisp-mode, and I even opened
some C source file of Emacs and there, the parens are black, too. But
still I would like to know: was this change intentional? If so, why is
this font-locking of parens preferred? Can I customize this?

Regards,

Christian