Re: [AUCTeX-devel] which TeX-run-* function to use with latexmk

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] which TeX-run-* function to use with latexmk
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:45:52 +0200

* Joe Wells (2007-09-17) writes:

> I'm trying to figure out the correct way to hook the “latexmk” program
> into AUCTeX's system for invoking processing commands on TeX files.
>
> So I have to figure out how to add values to and/or modify
> TeX-command-list.
>
> This leads to the question of which function to use in the 3rd slot of
> an element of TeX-command-list.
>
> A number of possibilities are available: TeX-run-command,
> TeX-run-format, TeX-run-TeX, TeX-run-interactive, TeX-run-BibTeX,
> TeX-run-compile, TeX-run-shell, TeX-run-discard, TeX-run-background,
> TeX-run-silent.
[...]
> What are the implications of this for AUCTeX integration?  The biggest
> issue is that the output of latexmk will contain the output of many
> invocations of latex, bibtex, dvips, ps2pdf, etc.  All of the
> functions I mentioned above seem to have built into their behavior the
> assumption that at most one invocation of either latex or bibtex has
> occurred.

No, stuff like `TeX-run-command', `TeX-run-background',
`TeX-run-compile', `TeX-run-shell' or `TeX-run-discard' are generic.
Functions like `TeX-run-TeX' or `TeX-run-BibTeX' have associated
sentinels and filters for dealing with output, e.g. for catching errors.
There is no run function which can deal with the output of several
processors at once.  I'd probably try my luck with one of the
specialized functions and move to the generic ones if it does not work
out.