Re: [AUCTeX-devel] making folding work together with previewing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] making folding work together with previewing
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:14:25 +0200

Joe Wells <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear AUCTeX gurus,
>
> Attached to this message is a patch that makes TeX-fold display images
> from preview-latex in folded material.  So you can write
>
>   \emph{Mathematical equations like $e=mc^2$ and $e^{i\pi}=-1$ are fun.}
>
> and then type C-c C-p C-b, wait for the images to show up, and then
> type C-c C-o C-b.  You will then see the text in italic font, the
> “\emph{” and “}” hidden, and all the math displayed as images.

We would need a copyright assignment from you to work on this.  I'll
send you the request form in separate mail.

> (I had to work around lots of Emacs display bugs to find this
> solution.)

Well... if you can expend the time, it would be nice if you created
minimal test cases (the Emacs icon is useful for that since it comes
with Emacs) and reported them to the Emacs developer list: while it is
nice if workarounds for released Emacs versions can be found, one
would not want the bugs to persist.

> Someone will probably object that I used items from CL.

Yes.

> (Feel free to rewrite the code not to use them.)

If we adopt this, I'll likely do that.  While AUCTeX does load cl when
compiling, I actually doubt that it is necessary for pretty much
anything by now.  We should perhaps try throwing it out and see what
happens.

> The help-echo property is not displayed over material to the left of
> the rightmost image.  I have no idea how to make this work in Xemacs
> and I didn't even try.

XEmacs' balloon help never got to a state where sane people would want
to enable it, anyhow.  At least that was the state in the 21.4
versions I have seen, and I doubt it progressed beyond it,