Re: [AUCTeX-devel] why (provide 'tex-site) in the auto-autoloads.el?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] why (provide 'tex-site) in the auto-autoloads.el?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 01:58:13 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
>
> There is again in a attempt to transform 11.84 into a working Xemacs
> pkg, thanks mostly to the excellent work of Mats Lidell. However we
> found an issue we do not understand. The auto-autoloads.el file as
> provided by the auctex teams contains a line
> (provide 'tex-site)
>
> Which seems not to make too much sense?
>
> Could somebody please enlighten me?

It would presumably turn a subsequent (require 'tex-site) into a noop:
this invocation is still frequently found in .emacs files.

Whether this is the intended effect, or whether this is basically a
leftover from our conversion to an XEmacs package (which concatenates
several other files), I can't quite remember.

But it certainly would not appear to be harmful.