Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with make install for auctex-11.84 with XEma

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with make install for auctex-11.84 with XEmacs on WinXP
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:09:28 +0100

* Daniel Winkelmann (2007-12-21) writes:

> Ralf Angeli wrote:
>>
>> Me neither.  But you should stay clear of UTF-8 files with a no-MULE
>> XEmacs.
>
> It was not obvious to me that the file I downloaded from xemacs.org
>
> XEmacs_Setup_21.4.21.exe
>
> would be UTF-8 and no-MULE,  neither do I know what that means and
> implies as consequences.

The version of XEmacs you installed has only limited international
character set support.  (Related to this is MULE, an abbreviation for
Multilingual Environment.)  As a result it is not capable of correctly
handling files encoded in UTF-8, a variable-length character encoding
for Unicode.  I currently don't know how this manifests in XEmacs,
i.e. if multi-byte characters in such files are displayed garbled or
if data corruption can occur when writing them to disk.

>> You can use `tee' to redirect the output to a file.  I currently don't
>> have time to look up the syntax, nor do I know if it is included in
>> MSYS.  Especially the error messages at the bottom are essential for
>> debugging.  Without those config.log will not help much.
>
> ok, tee is available but didn't write all the lines into the install.log
> I created with
>
> make install | tee install.log
>
> the last 30 lines (about 300) where shown in the MSYS window but not in
> the log.

You will need to redirect stderr in order to get all of the output,
i.e. you have to write `make install 2>&1 | tee install.log'.

> Please tell me if you really want all 300 lines, here are the
> last 11 lines:
>
> 8<---------------------
> Generating autoloads for toolbar-x.el...
> Wrote d:\XEmacs\site-packages\lisp\auctex\auto-autoloads.el
> Mark set
> Wrote d:\XEmacs\site-packages\lisp\auctex\auto-autoloads.el
> Compiling d:\XEmacs\site-packages\lisp\auctex\auto-autoloads.el...
> Compiling auto-autoloads.el... (TeX-modes-set)
> Compiling d:\XEmacs\site-packages\lisp\auctex\auto-autoloads.el...done
> Wrote d:\XEmacs\site-packages\lisp\auctex\auto-autoloads.elc
> make[1]: *** [install-metadata] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/auctex-11.84'
> make: *** [install] Error 2

It looks like it manages to generate the autoloads and then bombs out
at the following command.  If the Windows `find' executable is
shadowing the one provided by MSYS, this could be the problem.  You
can find out by typing "find <RET>" in the MSYS shell.

And no, I don't think sending the whole file will help more.

>> BTW, if you want to be sure to have a fully working AUCTeX, you could
>> download the AUCTeX XEmacs package from the AUCTeX homepage and simply
>> drop this into your package tree.  This will spare you the hassles of
>> configuring and building.
>
> I didn't find an AUCTeX-XEmacs package for MS Windows (winXP in my
> case).

The XEmacs package of AUCTeX is operating system agnostic.