[AUCTeX-devel] Re: RefTeX: More flexible reference style selection

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: RefTeX: More flexible reference style selection
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:34:39 +0100

* Ralf Angeli (2008-01-02) writes:

> If people think this is an approach worth pursuing I'll try to develop
> it further.

Okay, I've implemented a different approach.  You can now cycle through
reference macros defined through styles in `reftex-ref-style-alist' and
activated by `reftex-ref-style-active-list' by typing `v' (forward) or
`V' (backward) respectively in the buffer where you select a label.  In
addition you can switch between macros referencing numbers (e.g. \ref)
and pages (e.g. \pageref) by typing `p'.

A few enhancements might follow:

* It probably makes sense to couple the mechanism with AUCTeX's style
  system and provide only macros for selection which are available
  through the loaded LaTeX packages.

* The original implementation provided a way to control if the \vref and
  \fref macros should be applied to certain label types only
  (cf. `reftex-vref-is-default' and `reftex-fref-is-default').  This was
  a somewhat obscure feature and I don't know if it was widely used.  If
  it was not, I'd rather leave this out.

* Perhaps a way to insert starred versions of reference macros would be
  nice.

* Of course the manual will be updated once the implementation will be
  finished.

Enjoy.