[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:18:50 +0100

   >> Because of what the doc string states:
   >> "Non-nil means that the LaTeX symbols on toolbar are visible."

   > It's just an _internal_ variable that indicates the state, AFAICS.
   > (Disclaimer: I'm not at all familiar with the texbar.el/toolbar-x.el
   > code.)  If it would be a user variable, it would be either
   > customizable or its doc string would start with "*".

Well if a variable starts with a "*" then it can be set
interactively. It is my understanding and I have seen this in other
packages, for example vm I think, that user variables can also be non
interactive.

   >> So the problem is I see two new toolbar buttons
   >>
   >> -   a $∑$ and a sort of $√$ next to it

   > A sum and a green checkmark.  This is supposed to indicate that
   > pressing this icon *will* enable the symbol tool bar.
   > In Emacs, the tool tip says:
   > "Turn on the toolbar of LaTeX symbols (current class: ...)"
   > It toggles the visibility of the selected symbol tool bar.

In Xemacs is says that in the modeline.
   > See this screen shot (tex-bar-symbol-invisible.png):

   > It toggles the visibility of the selected symbol tool bar.  Did you
   > really install the icons from Miguel's site in a subdirectory
   > symb-pics as described in the commentary?  If I don't, I get the
   > behavior described by you as well.

No I did not, but after installing it did not work neither

   > With a correct installation, if I press the [�√] icon (sum+checkmark
   > aka images/ltx-symb-turn-on.xpm), I get (tex-bar-symbol-visible.png):

I do not  get that behavior.

    -  I download and unpack the xmp

    -  I start xemacs -vanilla.

    -  I customize TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons, adding
       latex-symbols-experimental

    -  I load a simple init file
containing the lines

(push (expand-file-name "~/xemacs/site-lisp/xpm/") load-path) ;the xpm
;;are in ~/xemacs/site-lisp/xpm/symb-pics

(require 'tex-site)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-install-toolbar)

that it. However, when opening a Latex file I obtain an xemacs
corresponding to your first screen shot but not to the second.

I am now asking, did you guys test that new toolbar with Xemacs ?

Uwe Brauer