Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:18:14 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > * Reiner Steib (2008-02-04) writes:
>    >> I don't even have a current AUCTeX installation for XEmacs available.
>
>    > Same here.  And since we haven't heard for a long time from
>    > Miguel it probably wouldn't be the worst idea to replace
>    > toolbar-x with a simple Emacs-only implemenation of the LaTeX
>    > tool bar if we want to make some progress.
>
> I don't understand. On the auctex webpage you even provide the latest
> auctex version as a xemacs pkg.

What is there not to understand?  XEmacs has for a very long time not
provided up to date AUCTeX packages.  So it has been up to us.

If we can't hope to get reasonable support and/or documentation for the
state of toolbar-x and no developer understanding it is available, the
only course forward might be to replace it.  And this is not going to
happen magically on all platforms at once.

> Now I see two possibilities
>
>     -  try to get the thing to work under Xemacs. Unfortunately I can
>        only volunteer to test but not to hack.

Who of the basically Emacs-centric developers should try to get an
experimental toolbar to work under XEmacs?  We really have more than
enough work at our hands for the supported stuff.

>     -  if this is not possible because of the lack of developers, then
>        one could try to get the old latex-toolbar which is around
>        since 2001 and works only for Xemacs, to work again with the
>        new auctex version.

Feel free to do so, but that certainly is not within the scope of the
AUCTeX project.