[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Good and bad news
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:09:55 +0100

   > No.  AUCTeX is part of the GNU project, XEmacs isn't.  Maintaining
   > XEmacs-only subpackages is definitely out of the scope of AUCTeX as far
   > as I am concerned.

Well it is very difficult to argue with this. The main autex
authors/maintainers use GNU Emacs, they provide generously a Xemacs
pkg, (which up till now the official pkg authors were not able to
provide). There is no Xemacs hacker in the team.

And it would be very good of that experimental toolbar would work
under Xemacs as well. However it seems to me that for the reasons
already mentioned you seem to consider to have a GNU Emacs only
support for that toolbar in mind. If so what harm would be done by
providing a Xemacs only toolbar as well (given that the author would
sign the papers)?

    -  is it that you fear again complains by Xemacs users?

    -  or is it more philosophical, Xemacs is under GPL but is not GNU

Uwe Brauer