Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature request/discussion for beamer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature request/discussion for beamer
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 15:19:20 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2008-05-02) writes:
>
>> Hi, when we are inserting verbatim material inside of a beamer frame
>> environment, then the frame environment needs to have "fragile" as an
>> option in its optional parameter list.
>>
>> Could something like that be done automagically?
>
> We could add a hook to be run at the end of `LaTeX-insert-environment'.
> Then beamer.el could add a function to the hook which determines the
> current environment with `LaTeX-current-environment', check for the
> optional argument if it is a frame environment and add it if not
> present.
>
> Such a hook would also allow us to implement the insertion of comment
> starters for macrocode environments more elegantly.
>
> We should probably pass the name of the environment just inserted as
> well as start and end positions of it to the hook functions.

Possibly.  Another frequent annoyance I notice is that when inserting
environments in beamer, I tend to need frame and itemize alternatively.

I see several ways out of that one: we could offer the frame environment
as default when in top level (and not let it override the existing
default).  Or we could keep a separate default for every nesting level.
That would facilitate repeatedly entering the same basical structure.
It would also mean that we don't need to special-case the document
environment.

Or we could allow environment specifications like frame,itemize and they
would enter nested environments in the first place.  The last is
probably most powerful, but will not be easily discovered by the average
user even when the prompt asks for "environment(s):"