[AUCTeX-devel] An idea for more consistency

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] An idea for more consistency
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 10:38:12 +0200

Hi,

at the current point of time, we more or less adhoc pick a dvips&&gv
viewing method for pstricks files and similar.

I think it might be a better idea if we extended the supported file
extensions (dvi and pdf) to the triplet dvi/pdf/ps and then added dvips
to the TeXing run (or pipeline?) rather than the preview run.

The reason is that if we get the equivalents of source specials for
PostScript (and there are developments in that area), then we don't want
to start dvips each time we connect to the viewer, and we want to have a
concept of an "up to date" ps file.

Sorry that I am at the moment more or less using this list in write-only
mode: I am just putting forth ideas that I got in BachoTeX before I
forget them.  Actually processing the feedback will mostly have to wait
until I am back again and have time to test things and think about them.

Thanks for your patience...

David