Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:48:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ralf,

From: Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 14:08:52 +0200

> * Pierre Lorenzon (2008-05-04) writes:
>
> > Anyway I did not make something so big but a small patch
> > applyable to tex.el and implementing a local option. If you
> > consider it useful enough you can include it in the current cvs
> > version.
> [...]
> > -        (file
> > -         (if (or (file-exists-p local-el)
> > -                 (y-or-n-p (format "save in %s "
> > -                                   local-el)))
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to bother the user with questions
> related to internals of the style system.  Either we do it one way or
> the other.

  OK ! It must be fully transparent for the user even if the
  most advanced of them might customize some variables.

> Unfortunately I'm lacking the time to check the implications of the
> change and I am afraid it might break something in the style
> system.

  Unfortunately I  cannot state that it won't be the case !
  Since this style system appears to me to be something
  complicated but lacking certain features.

> Usually the auto file of the master file will also load the auto files
> of the slave files.  Would this still be possible?

  It should be ! On my site it seems to work but once more I
  cannot state that I experimented every configuration !

> In any case, I'm currently not comfortable with changing stuff in the
> style system unless we are dealing with an actual bug.  Of course, if
> you want to take care of improving and maintaining the style system,
> i.e. committing yourself to working on AUCTeX, this is a different
> story.

  Sure it is a different story but first of all a question of
  time ! Anyway I think I will have to do it if I want
  it to work on my site. Now I encounter problems with the
  TeX-style-hook-list variable. Imagine two files
  introduction.tex belonging to two different documents
  simultaneously open in an emacs session. Both will be
  referenced by "introduction" as entry in this list generating
  incredible confusions !

  So I think I'll investigate this style system and try to
  improve it at least for my own needs. Anyway tell me which
  are the testing procedures to validate changes. Be sure that
  I'll keep in mind that backward compatibilty SOULD be insured
  ! One thing that I can absolutely not waranty is when work
  will be done !

  Bests

  Pierre