Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:02:06 +0200

* Pierre Lorenzon (2008-05-12) writes:

> From: Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>
>
>> Unfortunately I'm lacking the time to check the implications of the
>> change and I am afraid it might break something in the style
>> system.
>
>   Unfortunately I  cannot state that it won't be the case !
>   Since this style system appears to me to be something
>   complicated but lacking certain features.

This is quite a good description of the style system in its current
state.

I have at least two attempts of improving the style system on my hard
disk.  One where the style strings include file names with extensions if
a file is involved and one where I wanted move the file name stuff into
`TeX-file-list' IIRC.  At least the former seems to be working but I
haven't dared to commit it yet because I'm not sure about the
consequences.

The opacity of the style system (and the parser) and its use in every
wrinkle of AUCTeX is also why I'm sometimes thinking loudly about
replacing it with a more modular approach based on one central "project
file" like the parser of RefTeX creates it.

>   Now I encounter problems with the
>   TeX-style-hook-list variable. Imagine two files
>   introduction.tex belonging to two different documents
>   simultaneously open in an emacs session. Both will be
>   referenced by "introduction" as entry in this list generating
>   incredible confusions !

Yep.

>   So I think I'll investigate this style system and try to
>   improve it at least for my own needs.

Well, if you have ideas you want to discuss on the list while you work
on it, feel free to send a mail.  This will also make sure that you
don't run the risk of implementing all sorts of stuff in private and
then having it rejected because people here don't like it.

>   Anyway tell me which
>   are the testing procedures to validate changes.

Unfortunately we don't have any test cases, test harnesses, unit tests,
etc.  But hey, if somebody wants to work on that ...

>   Be sure that
>   I'll keep in mind that backward compatibilty SOULD be insured

If this is feasible, yes.  IIRC I tried this for the changes related to
file extensions.  At least it should be possible for the hand-crafted
style files to be found and loaded.

>   ! One thing that I can absolutely not waranty is when work
>   will be done !

No problem.