Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Style system Was: Inconsistency in loading/saving .el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Style system Was: Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:14:47 +0200

Pierre Lorenzon <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> I had a look at your patch : that exactly what I had in mind
> ; except that I would have implemented more tests to insure
> backward compatibility.
>
> Now this simple question: Is there a serious objection in using
> eieio to reimplement the style system ? I personally greatly
> appreciate developing such a system in a object oriented way but
> if you estimate that eieio is not stable enough or to
> complicated or whatever I know how to simulate object oriented
> programming in raw lisp ! I have done it many times before
> discovering eieio !

We would not want to have a dependency on an external package, in
particular when it is not copyright-assigned to the FSF.  As far as I
can tell, eieio is part of CEDET, and Eric Ludlam was sympathetic to
having it made part of Emacs and this may well happen in the time frame
of a year or so.  But we are not there yet, and AUCTeX should for some
time also continue to work with Emacs 21 and XEmacs (which has some
version of CEDET in its package system).

So at the current point of time, I would prefer not having this
dependency.