Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: AUCTeX tool-bar and icons
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:47:28 +0200

* Reiner Steib (2008-05-15) writes:

> On Thu, May 15 2008, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is what felt artificial to me.  Why would I want to restrict
>> myself to a file dialog which offers only part of the functionality of
>> another one while giving me no advantages?
>
> I don't remember the reasoning, but AUCTeX should behave as close as
> reasonably possible to the rest of Emacs in this regard.

Well, at least to me, having an open file button as used in Emacs is not
reasonable. (c:  But you are right that we should at least provide ways
for the user to configure the tool bar in a way that adheres to the rest
of Emacs.  (Where "the rest of Emacs" is a highly subjective term.  When
testing I used the tool bar in the *scratch* buffer as a reference.)

>> How about defining parts of `toolbarx-default-toolbar-meaning-alist'
>> differently depending on the Emacs version?
>
> Yes, this seems necessary.
>
> Something along this line.  WDYT?

> +    (,(if (and (not (featurep 'xemacs)) (>= emacs-major-version 22))
> +       'open-file
> +     'new-file)

`open-file' and `new-file' need to be swapped.

> +    (dired :image [,(if (and (not (featurep 'xemacs)) (>=
> emacs-major-version 22))
> +                     'diropen
> +                   'open)

Those should be strings.

And `TeX-bar-TeX-buttons' and `TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons' have to be adapted
as well.  Either we provide both `new-file' and `open-file' in the
default or we special-case them based on the Emacs version.  Again, I
would not mind sparing some space by not offering `open-file' on Emacs
22. (c: