Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Can AUCTeX be a pseudo-WYSIWYG device?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Can AUCTeX be a pseudo-WYSIWYG device?
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:58:32 +0200

* Rasmus Pank Roulund (2008-05-16) writes:

> Ryszard Kubiak wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if you would find it plausible to extend AUCTeX
>> towards a pseudo-WYSIWYG device. I mean by that that
>> I imagine a single keystroke invoking a sequence
>> of the following steps:
>> 1. Saving a document.
>> 2. Processing it as many times as necessary (cross-references)
>> and possible (errors).
>> 3. Calling a viewer if not done before.
>> 4. Hiding Emacs in order to activate the viewer's window.
>
> This should probably have been posted in the auctex.help group. Either
> way, if you use Miktex you can use texify for it. Look in the Miktex
> documentation. Other distribution probably have similar devices.

Sooner or later AUCTeX should be able to execute a full tool chain on
its own.  This would allow us to use matching process filters and
sentinels for the different tools.  I'm not sure how well AUCTeX deals
with something like texify with respect to that.

I don't think that hiding the Emacs frame after a tool chain run is a
good idea, though.  After all, one often wants to change between the
output and the source.  In that case it is handy having both visible.