Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Style system Was: Inconsistency in loading/saving .el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Style system Was: Inconsistency in loading/saving .el files
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 02:36:31 +0200

Pierre Lorenzon <address@hidden> writes:

> From: Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>
>
>> would add another barrier for understanding the code.
>
>   Hum the latter might be infinitely be discussed since in my
>   opinion a object oriented code is more understandable that a
>   none but this is clearly out of the scope of our present
>   discussion and moreover it is maybe only my opinion.

"object oriented" can mean any number of things in the opinion of
different people.  For example, many consider Java and C++
"object-oriented" languages even though they don't offer any native
expressivity for message passing (objects having their own flow
control/stack frame which is switched synchronously when a message
passes without the need to exit, like a function call needs to do before
passing control), and message passing being _the_ crucial element of
object-oriented programming as it was originally defined.

At the current point of time, "object oriented" is more or less a buzz
phrase.  So we should not argue this as a case of whether or not OO is
beautiful or not, but rather whether particular features of eieio help
us to get more maintainable and understandable code, and how it does
that.

It may be that we can define a few macros to achieve a similar effect
with regard to readability of the code.

>   Sure I could but it is not so comfortable for me ! Anyway if
>   I want to contribute to a project I have to follow the scope
>   of the project and not only my own opinion !

But it does not appear like we have another opinion, since noone else
here knows eieio.  If eieio supports a particular style of programming
that makes stuff more comprehensible to you, we can take a look at that
style and try to provide the required facilitaties even when we don't
use eieio itself.