Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:55:50 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> there is now some support for SyncTeX in AUCTeX.  You can enable the
> respective minor mode with `C-c C-t C-y' or the respective TeXing
> option in the Command menu.  You will need to have a recent TeX engine
> with SyncTeX support and the synctex executable in path.  (Perhaps we
> should check for that when the user tries to enable the mode.)
>
> There is currently only support for forward search because I am not
> aware of a viewer for X11 which supports SyncTeX.  (And I will not
> boot into Windows to test with Sumatra PDF.)
>
> I expect the new code to have some rough edges which need to be
> smoothed out, so please test it and let me know if you find a bug.  (I
> expect problems when one tries to mix Source Specials mode, SyncTeX
> mode and synchronization with pdfsync.  There is no logic yet to
> prevent this.)

Personally, I would have considered it more userfriendly if SyncTeX was
basically a configuration option of Source Specials mode (call it Source
Correlation mode if you need to), and probably the default for
PDF+SourceSpecial.  I don't think that there is much sense in using both
Source Special and SyncTeX at once.  Feel free to persuade me otherwise.
I won't veto your implementation, though.  I don't use either frequently
enough nowadays to be the final judge.