[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Upstream support of XEmacs in AUCTeX

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Upstream support of XEmacs in AUCTeX
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:53:27 +0200

Hello David,

   > Directed to both XEmacs and AUCTeX developer lists.

   > It has become clear in the last few years that the efforts of
   > AUCTeX developers to support XEmacs are basically a waste of time.
   > According to the XEmacs developer lists, there is no noticeable
   > interest in an uptodate AUCTeX distribution.

Well, first of all I have to apologize for not having been able to
submit the desired patch in due time. However thanks to Mats Lidell we
have an almost working solution (save a patch which should be applied to
XEmacs.rules). It is however not clear right now, whether this patch
will be accepted or another solution should be found. In any case I will
submit that patch tomorrow, (my workload has been high in the past
months) and hopefully within a couple of days we will have a working
solution. Once that is settled further synchronization should be easy
(given that the Installation process will not be changed again).

I all the time have benefit from your generous support of XEmacs and
appreciate that a lot. It is true there was no real Xemacs hacker (save
Nick for a time) actively contribution code to auctex. The best I could
offer myself would be testing, some contributions to style files but
unfortunately not more.

   > Am I overlooking something?

So given that we will have a working solution soon I would like to ask
you, not to stop  the support you have given so far to XEmacs.

Thank you very much

Uwe Brauer