Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX

From: Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for SyncTeX
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:17:28 +0200

On Jul 25, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Ralf Angeli wrote:

* Artemio Gonzalez Lopez (2008-07-25) writes:

On Jul 25, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Ralf Angeli wrote:

What's the result of
M-: (TeX-source-correlate-determine-method) <RET>
?

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function TeX-source-correlate-
determine-method)

Then your AUCTeX installation is too old.  If you are sure that you
installed a version from the latest CVS sources, perhaps it is being
shadowed by an older installation.  In that case, `M-x
list-load-path-shadows <RET>' could help to find the other installation.

You are right! After removing the old installation, I get the new Texing Options menu. Sorry for the gaffe!

Do you need to pass any special options to this viewer for inverse
search with SyncTeX to work?

I am afraid I don't know how the TeXWorks viewer works, although I
think it's based on the Poppler library (I believe the source code is
freely available at http://tug.org/texworks).

Before I start looking at the sources, does it give some hints about
command line options when being called from the command line with
something like `<viewer> --help'?

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about TeXworks (I just got it a couple of days ago and have tried it only occasionally). On the other hand, for the Mac OS X community it would be much better to try to make synctex work with the most popular pdf viewer which right now supports inverse search and is being actively developed, namely Skim. Right now I am successfully using pdfsync with Emacs/auctex and Skim. On the auctex side, what I do is use the following entry in TeX Output View Style:

("^pdf$" "." "/Users/artemio/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/ SharedSupport/displayline %n %o %b")

(displayline is just a small command-line utility included in Skim).

Thanks a lot for your (and David's) help, and thanks once again for your work on auctex, which I use every day and is really invaluable for my own work!

Cheers,

Artemio