Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and styl

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and style files
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:16:59 +0100

  RA> * Phillip Lord (2008-09-01) writes:

  >> I normally install auctex by unpacking the tar ball in ~/emacs/packages
  >> (creating auctex-x.x where x is the version number), and doing
  >> ./configure, make, but no make install.

  RA> This is not a good idea as you obviously found out.

Yes; it works for almost all of the packages that I use, but not auctex which
is unfortunate. Still, as there isn't a standard for doing this on emacs, I
guess auctex's method is as good as everyone else.

Just to explain, the reason I do this is that my emacs configuration and
add-on packages are shared between the five machines and 2 operating systems
that I use regularly. I use unison to sync it all together; this means I only
have to install things once and behaviour is identical between my machines.

  >> So I decided to try the make install option instead. So I move auctex
  >> away from ~/emacs/packages, and try
  >>
  >> ./configure --prefix=/home/username/emacs/packages/auctex
  >>
  >> which is nearly what was suggested in "Installation for non-privelleged
  >> users". But this appears to be ignored -- make install tries to isntall
  >> in /usr/share...

  RA> You have to provide the --prefix option with a directory that actually
  RA> exists.

I don't think that this was the problem. I've just tried again, including with
--prefix=/tmp and got the same thing.

Phil