Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and styl

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and style files
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:07:10 +0100

  DK> Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:

  >> The main expedient is using the `--prefix' option to the `configure'
  >> script, and let it point to the personal home directory.
  >>

  >> Which I tried and which doesn't work. In the end, I did...
  >>
  >> ./configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/home/phillord/emacs/packages/auctex
  >> --with-lispdir=/cygdrive/d/home/phillord/emacs/package/auctex
  >> --disable-preview

  DK> ARG!!!

  DK> The installation instructions for Windows quite explicitly state:

  DK>        Avoid `helpful' magic file names like `/cygdrive/c' and
  DK>     `C:\PROGRA~1\' like the plague. It is quite unlikely that the
  DK>     scripts will be able to identify the actual file names involved. Use
  DK>     the full paths, making use of normal Windows drive letters like `
  DK>     'C:/Program Files/Emacs' ' where required, and using the same
  DK>     combination of upper- and lowercase letters as in the actual files.
  DK>     File names containing shell-special characters like spaces or
  DK>     backslashes (if you prefer that syntax) need to get properly quoted
  DK>     to the shell: the above example used single quotes for that.

Ah, yes, so they do. Well, I've got the build to work either way which is
good. Style file loading is not working, at least on windows, which is a
little unfortunate. I shall have to investigate this later; at least it's
running on unix.

I guess I am running out of options here; it looks I am going to have to
install auctex by hand on multiple machines. Unfortunate, but doable.

Again, thanks for the help.

Phil