Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and style files
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:37:05 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Phillip Lord (2008-09-04) writes:
>
>> Can I suggest an update to the "Installation for the non-privilleged user"
>> section. It says....
>
> ,----[ (info "(auctex)Advice for non-privileged users") ]
> |    You'll have to add something like
> | `/home/myself/share/emacs/site-lisp' to your `load-path' variable, if
> | it isn't there already.
> `----
>
> This implies that the lisp files will be installed below prefix if the
> directory exists and it is being added to `load-path'.  But the
> configure script calls Emacs with -batch which implies -q.

> So if the directory is added in one's .emacs file to `load-path' the
> new value will not be picked up.

.emacs is more for the interactive configuration.  load-path changes are
probably better done in default.el, and hopefully there is at least one
place in the load-path where the user can store a file like that.

> I am wondering how the above is supposed to work.  Can somebody shed
> some light on this?
>
> Perhaps we really have to suggest to specify both --prefix and
> --with-lispdir?

It might be worth experimenting with this and giving a recommendation
based on the results.