[AUCTeX-devel] LaTeX-fill-region and very long lines

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] LaTeX-fill-region and very long lines
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:41:06 +0200

Hello

More and more people send me LaTeX files with very long lines, most
likely using the latest version of windedit, which does not use the
traditional line break after 70 chars, but uses something which
corresponds to long-line-mode in (X)emacs.

However I find this inconvenient, fortunately running LaTeX-fill-region
over most of the buffer, formats nicely and break most
longlines. However there are two type of long lines this function cannot
deal with, (mostly in math formula)

    -  one is one where there is really no space, so it is written like
       (f)_{a}+5=7 etc etc

    -  the other one is more subtle. The point is, when I jump to the
       end of that long line and type space (auto-fill-mode on) then the
       line is broken correctly, but LaTeX-fill-region does not break
       it.
Here is an example which I attach since long lines in email is a bad
idea
  \begin{eqnarray}
    g_{\alpha,\beta}-\eta_{\alpha,\beta} &\in&
C^0\left([0,T],H_{s,\delta}\right)\cap
    C^1\left([0,T],H_{s-1,\delta+1}\right)\\
    w,u^a,u^0-1 &\in&  C^0\left([0,T],H_{s-1,\delta+2}\right)\cap
    C^1\left([0,T],H_{s-2,\delta+3}\right).
  \end{eqnarray}