Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview of \ref commands in preview-latex

From: Tim Toolan
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview of \ref commands in preview-latex
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:42:56 -0500

Quoting "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>:

"Tim Toolan" <address@hidden> writes:

Hello,

It is possible to replace the \ref type commands in preview mode with
the actual resolved labels as they appear in the preview images in a
robust way by using the .aux information generated when generating the
previews.  It also would allow adding new references using the number
as it appears in the preview images.

I am interested in implementing this, but would like to know if people
feel that this would be a useful addition, and if there are any
suggestions about how people would like it to work before I start.

I think that this is a case where one would not want images as previews,
but rather text (similar for footnote markers and such).  preview.sty
needs an interface for passing this sort of info to Emacs, and of course
preview-latex needs to pick it up.

Are you talking about something like the [r] [c] and [f] markers that are used when using folding mode? That would probably be the best place to use the information. It would be relatively easy to replace the [r] with the resolved label.