Re: [AUCTeX-devel] reftex patch to support resolved labels

From: Tim Toolan
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] reftex patch to support resolved labels
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:50:55 -0500

Quoting Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>:

* Tim Toolan (2008-12-02) writes:

Quoting Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>:

When using preview-latex, ideally preview-preserve-counters should be
set to true, but even that is not necessary.  If someone runs
preview-document, it will generate the full set of correct .aux data,
but even if they run preview-region, the generated .aux files will
contain the resolved labels for that section as they appear in the
preview.  If there are duplicate resolved labels in the document (for
instance lots of equation 1s), it is okay because we will know that,
and can make it clear to the user that this is the case.

Do I understand correctly that you are suggesting to let preview-latex
generate .aux files and use the data in those files for the display of
resolved labels?  I just tried that by removing the \nofiles switch from
`preview-LaTeX-command' and the .aux files did not contain any label
information.  So there seem to more changes required to obtain this
output.

You not only have to remove the \nofiles command from `preview-LaTeX-command', but also remove it from the file preview.dtx in the section where it creates the file prauctex.def.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we really want to use the inconsistent numbering
produced by `preview-region' runs.  In addition the _region_.aux file is
overwritten with every new run which complicates matters if I am not
mistaken.

Handling the various runs of `preview-region' would require bookkeeping, but it can be done. It makes sense to save it for later though as you suggest, and take it one step at a time.

Perhaps for a first version of the feature it is sufficient to add a
warning to the manual that the resolved labels as displayed by RefTeX
will only correspond to those of the last regular LaTeX run.

Sounds like a good idea, so I will make a new version of the patch that reflects what we have discussed.

-Tim