[AUCTeX-devel] Syntax Spec (was: Happy Birthday 11.84)

From: Leo
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Syntax Spec (was: Happy Birthday 11.84)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:55:15 +0800

Hi Ralf,

On 2008-02-06 06:15 +0800, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> My biggest fear at the moment is that the notation for specifying syntax
> alternatives is not flexible or intuitive enough.  This is currently
> done with a prefix notation.  So for example "|{\" means that the next
> token could either be a TeX group ("{") or a macro ("\").  There is
> currently only support for two alternatives.  If we wanted to allow more
> than two this might become ugly, i.e. with the example above one would
> have to write "|{|\_" meaning "{ or \ or _".

I came across this post while I was trying to figure out what is syntax
spec in `font-latex-add-keywords'. I also did search of that function as
well as "syntax" in the AUCTeX manual with no avail.

`font-latex-add-keywords' is not documented but is extensively used in
style files. It seems `font-latex-user-keyword-classes' and
`font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes' partially explain what syntax spec
is. But in some style files such as beamer.el, "<" is also used. Does
that mean one can supply any char as syntax spec?

     (font-latex-add-keywords '(("frametitle" "<[{")) 'slide-title)

I am new to AUCTeX although I am trying to be fairly familiar with it so
that I can easily create styles for my LaTeX editting.

Thanks again for making AUCTeX better and better.

Best wishes,
--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.