[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Regarding temporary files

From: Colin Jia Zheng
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Regarding temporary files
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:18:22 +0000 (UTC)

Clearly we have different ideas of organizing tex files.

Those (like you) who prefer a code project style, will be fine with
intermediate files deleted only when finished.

Those (like I) who consider tex as plain texts, to be converted
to DVI/PS only when needed, will dislike even the idea of having a
Makefile in this case, not to mention ``one tex one folder''.

Please be respectful to the difference.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:43:14PM +0000, Leo wrote:
> On 2009-02-19 16:03 +0000, Colin Jia Zheng wrote:
> > AUCTEX leaves a bunch of temporary files in the tex file's directory.
> > This is annoying:
> > * Messy, and you cannot configure AUCTEX to remove _region_* files
> >   and the auto/ folder on closing the tex file
> > * Fails when the directory is read-only
>
> All you need to do is to write a two line Makefile to remove any
> undesirable files.

> The temporary files are not actually temparary. They speed up the
> compiling process. I only clean up those files when I am done with the
> document.
>
> In particular, you should keep each document in its own directory.
>
> > Is it possible NOT to write intermediate files in the same directory?
> > eg /tmp/tmpXXXXX?  (This is what LyX does)
>
> check 'latex --help'
By intermediate files I meant _region_*, those produced by AUCTEX.