[AUCTeX-devel] Abbrev integration needs improvement

From: Leo
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Abbrev integration needs improvement
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:06:49 +0000

Hi there,

Abbrev mode has been seamlessly integrated into Emacs. In fact, any mode
defined with define-derived-mode will automatically have its own
abbrev-table in effect. The tex-mode.el which is bundled with Emacs
takes advantage of this. AUCTeX, on the other hand, does not (maybe
because the original tex-mode file that AUCTeX based on didn't have
that). In this respect AUCTeX is inferior to tex-mode.el.

At the moment most modes (which shadow modes from tex-mode.el) defined
in AUCTeX share abbrev tables with for example text mode and this is far
from optimal. It's a great loss of productivity. Although a user level
solution isn't difficult to find, I think it might be worthwhile letting
the developers know about this so that it can be resolved at the package
level.

Best wishes,
--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.