Re: [AUCTeX-devel] tex-math.el inclusion

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] tex-math.el inclusion
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:34:38 +0200

Mehdi Dogguy <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup a écrit :
>
>> Uh, what's wrong with
>>
>> C-c ~ runs the command LaTeX-math-mode, which is an interactive
>> compiled Lisp function in `latex.el'.
>>
>> It is bound to C-c ~, <menu-bar> <LaTeX> <Math Mode>.
>> (LaTeX-math-mode &optional ARG)
>> A minor mode with easy access to TeX math macros.
>>
> I didn't knew about it and I find tex-math.el easier to customize because:
> - we can change the list of symbols easily
> - we can change the keystroke that calls LaTeX-abbrev-math easily

How is this not the case with LaTeX-math-mode?

> How can I change this prefix command?

LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix is a variable defined in `latex.el'.
Its value is "`"

Documentation:
Prefix key for use in `LaTeX-math-mode'.
This has to be a string representing a key sequence in a format
understood by the `kbd' macro.  This corresponds to the syntax
usually used in the Emacs and Elisp manuals.

Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
use M-x customize.

You can customize this variable.

[back]

> and how can I add new symbols to the list?

LaTeX-math-list is a variable defined in `latex.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
Alist of your personal LaTeX math symbols.

Each entry should be a list with upto four elements, KEY, VALUE,
MENU and CHARACTER.

KEY is the key (after `LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix') to be redefined
in math minor mode.  If KEY is nil, the symbol has no associated
keystroke (it is available in the menu, though).

VALUE can be a string with the name of the macro to be inserted,
or a function to be called.  The macro must be given without the
leading backslash.

The third element MENU is the name of the submenu where the
command should be added.  MENU can be either a string
(e.g. "greek"), a list (e.g. ("AMS" "Delimiters")) or
nil.  If MENU is nil, no menu item will be created.

The fourth element CHARACTER is a Unicode character position for
menu display.  When nil, no character is shown.

See also `LaTeX-math-menu'.

You can customize this variable.

[back]

> Sorry for the noise about this minor issue.
> Maybe I should have asked on auctex-users instead of auctex-devel.

Maybe.  It mostly seems like you are unaware of finding documentation.
It is not just the function documentation.  The standard documentation

(info "(auctex) Mathematics")

answers all of your questions.  Before doing feature requests and asking
for advice on the developer list, taking a look at the manual may save
several people including yourself some trouble.

--
David Kastrup