[AUCTeX-devel] Problem Installing Auctex

From: Justin Dove
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Problem Installing Auctex
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:55:30 -0400

Dev,

I'm having a bit of problem installing auctex. At first I was using the precompiled version with emacs 22.3, but windows began restarting automatically after using it for awhile. Eventually this stopped, but then emacs would just suddenly close after a period of use instead. So I decided to try emacs 23.1 and configure/compile auctex myself using MSYS. For awhile I couldn't get the ./configure to recognize emacs. After adding it to my path I was able to (though I had to run the command a few times and put all -- flags on one line). The configuration was successful but when I run make I get:
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/auctex-11.85/doc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/auctex-11.85/doc'
test -z "preview" || (OLDPWD="`pwd`";for i in ""preview;do cd $i;echo "Descending into `pwd`";make 'DESTDIR=' PACKAGE=auctex all || exit $?;cd "$OLDPWD";echo "Ascending into $OLDPWD";done)
Descending into /c/auctex-11.85/preview
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/auctex-11.85/preview'
autoconf -I..
make[1]: autoconf: Command not found
make[1]: *** [configure] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/auctex-11.85/preview'
make: *** [all] Error 2

before it quits. I guess I'll try downloading autoconf but there was nothing about this in the install documentation. Sorry if this is a silly issue and autoconf is just a common file to have. (Unfortunately) I've been primarily a windows user up until now (just added ubuntu and getting osx eventually as well) so I'm pretty new to the whole self compile/install process.

Thanks,
Justin